Welcoming Week is a series of events that raise awareness about our status as a Welcoming City and the benefits of welcoming everyone in Bend.
Are you feeling overwhelmed with all of the injustices that are happening and wondering what you can do to make a difference in our community? Given the latest attack by the Trump Administration and its supporters on our immigrant community by revoking DACA, I am left wondering, how do we maintain the energy to keep fighting against ALL of these injustices?
Our answer is to leverage the power of our community and encourage broad participation in events that:
- foster relationships across interest groups
- bring us together to learn about the challenges that others face
- encourage conversations with people from diverse backgrounds
- give us a chance to play together
And there is a full week of events that accomplish all of the above coming up called “WELCOMING WEEK”!! (September 15 – 24, 2017)
To make this week a success consider volunteering or maybe get a Kickball team together and participate in the Kickball Tournament! You can reach out to the contact listed if you are able to volunteer.
Below is a summary of the events that are currently planned. For more details, click through to our blog posts on IndivisibleBend.org. There may be more to come so check back on the City Calendar for any changes.
1. The Bend Welcoming Week Family “Kick-Off” – Organized by Central Oregon Neighbor-Love Alliance (CONL)
Location: Ponderosa Elementary School (3790 NE Purcell Blvd, Bend, OR 97701)
Date/Time: Saturday, September 16th. 9am – 3pm
Contact: Anthony Machi
2. Welcoming Week: Bend Open Streets
Location: Cascades East Transit Hawthorne Station (334 NE Hawthorne Avenue)
Date/Time: Sunday, September 17th from 12:00-4:00p
3. Welcoming Week: Proclamation – Organized by the City of Bend – Joshua Romero
Location: Bend City Hall – Council Chambers (710 NW Wall Street)
Date/Time: Wednesday, September 20th from 7:00-8:00p
Details: Join the Bend City Council as they proclaim Welcoming Week in Bend!
4. The Dreamer’s Panel – Organized by Central Oregon Neighbor-Love Alliance (CONL)
Location: Trinity Episcopal Church
Date/Time: Thursday, September 21st from 6:30-8:30p
Contact: Paulina Machi
5. Debunking Immigration: A Theological, Historic, and Contemporary Analysis – Organized by Central Oregon Neighbor-Love Alliance (CONL)
Location: Bend Church
Date/Time: Friday, September 22nd from 7:00-8:30p
Contact: Karen Wykes
6. Welcoming Week: Festival of Cultures – Organized by the Latino Community Association
Location: Redmond – Centennial Park (725 SW Evergreen Avenue, Redmond, OR)
Date/Time: Saturday, September 23rd from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Contact: Karen Wykes